How did you all like last weeks Full Body Workout?! My legs were burning, gotta love that feeling!!!
Well for this weeks TEACH ME THURSDAY I thought I’d try incorporate a little more summer time activities. One of my favorite things about summer is the pools, I love swimming!
I usually just like to float in there and a get a tan, but when you are actually swimming it can really make for a great workout!
So here are some great pool exercises to try out that require no equipment:
As always…Warm up with a 5-10 gently swimming around to get your muscles warmed and ready for action!
- Stabilize your upper body by sweeping hands back and forth as you run your legs up the side of the pool and then back down to the floor.
- Do this 4 times, alternating the leading leg each time you reach the end of one jogging circuit.
- Kneel on a mat on all fours with your knees hip-width apart, your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your fingers pointing forward. Bring your pelvis forward so that your body creates a diagonal straight line from your knees to your head.
- Breathe slowly as you lower your chest toward the floor through a count of 10 seconds.
- Hold for 2 seconds at the maximum tension point.
- Push your body back to starting position, keeping your elbows slightly bent, for 10 seconds.
- Repeat this 3 times.
- Hold on to edge of pool deck with left hand and place right palm, fingers pointing down, against wall just below water line for stability.
- Extend legs behind you at water level with both feet and knees together.
- Kick like a dolphin, causing a “wave”.
- Squeeze abs to stabilize your stomach and hips while kicking.
- Kick as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Stand with feet apart, arms extended straight out in front of you. (works best if you have a ball or weight to hold)
- Push your arms under the water, swinging into a figure-eight pattern through the water.
- Repeat 15-25 times in a smooth rhythm maintaining a sturdy balance.
- This one is pretty self explanatory. Simply attempt to do a jumping jack in the water.
- Bend your knees and spring up off the bottom of the pool as high as you can. It will be harder then you are used to with your typical jumping jack due to the resistance of the water.
- Shoot for about 15-25 jumping jacks.
- With your back against the pool, place arms along the edge for support.
- Draw your knees to your chest then extend them straight ahead.
- Swing your legs to your left, to the right, then back to the center.
- Place your legs back down.
- Repeat 10 times with your back pressed against the wall the entire motion.
Finish off with a 5-10 minute cool down gently swimming around in the pool.
Allow at the time of this workout, you may not feel a whole lot, the next day you should be feeling quite sore. That’s the great thing about pool workouts, you don’t feel the pressure on the body during the workout, yet it still works to strengthen and tone.
It’s suppose to be 90degrees here this weekend, so you know I will definitely be trying this workout!
Do you like doing pool workouts?
Are you as excited as I am for some pool time this summer?!